Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wyatt, 4 year flashback

I can't believe my youngest is about to turn 4. What a joy he has been in our life. Talk about all boy! Wyatt was originally due in mid October but oh nooooo he wanted to make a grand appearance on September 21st, 3 weeks early. All of my pregnancies had been challenging. High Risk, something to do initially with the family history of birthing toddlers (okay, not really but good size bambinos). Then with Kira I had hypertension and with Clayton (and Wyatt) I had Gestational Diabetes. I say both of those were a precursor to how my life would be with these blessings - Kira consistently tests my blood pressure with her negotiating ways - you know when she needs to "educate me" on why she is right any my ideas/directions are ludicrous. Whereas Clayton and Wyatt exhaust me physically just as I felt when I was pregnant with them and had diabetes.

As a high risk pregnancy I was monitored pretty heavily. Monthly ultrasounds - right in time where I would start to go crazy and needed to know all was well, but by the end you wanted to see how he had grown to build you up for what to expect. Than the last scheduled ultrasound the tech stepped out to "get the doctor to review my films". Normal - until 20 minutes later I was still waiting and then the dr comes in and says "Sorry to make you wait, I want to go over this with you but I just need to finish up with another patient". His tone told me that this was more than a drive by view so I told him "you can't leave this room until you tell me everything is ok". He responded "I want time to tell you what is going on". OMG. What IS going on? I have had a dozen ultrasounds you can't tell me now that something is wrong. Lil Wyatt is 3 weeks out. As this was the dozen plus ultrasound it was routine and I said I'd go solo. Head spinning.

The Doctor comes in and tells me something is wrong with the umbilical cord, a bulge, could clot, could have a stillborn, might be something wrong with a heart valve, needed to talk to my dr,need to deliver early....what what what what ? I numbly say okay and get my purse and say "call me when you hear from her".  He turns around and says "oh no, you aren't going anywhere. I am talking to her first". Delivery scheduled for next morning and I proceed with my melt down. I couldn't stop crying. Now three weeks out became wrap up your work, get your stuff together, arrange Kira and Clayton's needs in hours. Mark. Set. Go....and she is off......

All our family anxiously awaited in the waiting room for what was to be a 4pm delivery. A full delivery room awaited us with Children Hospital specialists with us to check him out. After fear of what we may come across and so much praying Wyatt was born, checked out and spent a night in the Neonatal unit for one night. Visiting him there, at 7lbs 7oz, made him appear to be gigantic. Those babies were so small and in such need. There laid our newborn, monitors but no other needs. Just perfect. While there was indeed an issue with his cord and it was absolutely right to take him the next day,  his heart checked out perfect. We felt so incredibly blessed to have this little man join us, to see a small glimpse of what struggles newborns could have in the NICU, and to feel the power of prayer from our family and friends.

Our family is now complete (except for that dang dog I agreed to before marriage). Three very different children that keep us on our toes, using our "outside voice", keep us laughing, keep our house in utter disarray, keep us kissing their cheeks 24/7. So glad it's still cool to kiss your mama.


I am confident that Wyatt will strive to be the class clown. He is a charmer and will work his way out of trouble with random "I love you", "your the best" and "you look handsome...err uh pretty mama" then he will throw a Super Hero punch right at me that I have to "wash on, wash off" to protect myself karate kid style. I sit back and look at these kiddos and can pretty much see a potential future for Kira leading a group within some company or being a lawyer etc, and Clayton - an Engineer hands down, but Wyatt I just can't figure out. Granted he is 4, but by 4 it was pretty concrete how I felt about our first two, but Wyatt is still finding himself because he can't sit still long enough to not tackle Clayton, or stand behind me and give me random kisses or just putting all his energy into being a boy that he has given me enough hint to see what his future  might hold. So until I figure it out I will keep dodging his Popeye fists, permitting his non stop kissies, telling him to stop throwing things, to get off Clayton, to give me more huggies and enjoy watching him give Harry his unexpected random waist hugs with the "I love you's".  Three kids threw me closer to the edge and granted me a seat on the crazy train but I absolutely wouldn't want it any other way. After all I couldn't have all of you to shock with the antics of the moment!












No comments:

Post a Comment