I always joked that Kira was such an early talker she came out of the womb w her first demand
"Would someone PLEASE get me a bottle already??".
Talking in full sentences at 17 months turned heads including mine at times. I know on multiple occasions I, yes me, was left with my mouth agape and nadda thing coming out.
At 25 months we were at the dinner table and Kira did something that she should not have. Harry, trying to correct her gave the fatherly, but not too stern at her age, "Kiraaaa, I am disappointed in you."
Without missing a beat with her little chub cheeks and curly hairdo she leaned forward on both elbows resting her chin on her fists and as articulate as an adult looked him dead in the face and retorted "I am very disappointed in everyone and everyone is not going to talk to me like that" she then held her stare for a moment then calmly returned to eating as if we should all understand each other now.
I didn't know whether to suck in every last air vapor from the room or let my laughter go. I decided that by the shocking look on Harry's face and my OMG- we- are- in- for- such- an -interesting -18 years -flash- that I was best to run outside as quickly as my "run" allowed me to. My neighbors must have thought I'd gone mad as I was outside laughing with no one next to me.
She continues to be my mini me w her stare downs and her negotiation tactics -and the "educational lessons" on why what you are saying makes no sense and you just hadn't realized it yet
I quickly realized, okay not so quickly, that as a parent your every mouthed word is absorbed. It hit me hard after we ordered one night at Donato's and Kira being maybe kissing. 5 yrs old, got up from the table 5 minutes after we placed our order. I asked her where she was going and in the "I'll handle this" tone said she was going to find the manager and see what was taking them so long to get her pizza. While the interaction would have been interesting I quickly explained it had only been minutes and her services would not be needed. I then had an internal discussion with myself about how there was no doubt who she was imitating there and my head better remember that its ok to ask questions but to try to remember that I am teaching little brains how to address situations and if I was shocked, I was shocked from the mirror of myself. Lesson learned. .
No comments:
Post a Comment